Diary of a Brain Tumor Patient's Wife

Feb. 1, 1999

Renette Davis

Paul had a real good weekend. On Saturday morning he said he wanted to play a game on the computer. I asked if he wanted to try Solitaire, since his brother and sister-in-law had enjoyed playing that while they were here, and he said "Yes." I got it all ready to go, and then he was able to play with just a little help.

When he got tired of that, I decided to try taking him for a walk around the block in the wheelchair since it was a nice sunny day. You sure do notice all the bumps in the sidewalk when you're in a wheelchair. We decided we'd do the Old Plank Trail next time. It was still nice later in the afternoon, so we drove over to the apartment, parked the car there, and I pushed him on the trail a little bit. That was much easier, except when we got to a section where the snow hadn't melted. I decided to turn around at that point.

Saturday night we watched a video that someone loaned us (Sandlot). I have really enjoyed being able to sit down and watch a movie on the spur of the moment. I don't know how much Paul really enjoys the movies, but he does seem to enjoy me sitting by him and holding his hand while I watch them.

He fell out of bed Saturday night (actually about 3:30 Sunday morning). I don't know if he was trying to get up or if he just rolled over and fell out. He got up then and went downstairs and fell asleep in the comfortable chair, so I just slept on the couch the rest of the night. I asked him Sunday night if he wanted to sleep in the hospital bed so he wouldn't fall out, and he said, "No.

Sunday morning we went to church. I hadn't planned to sing in the choir, so we didn't go early for rehearsal. But when we got there, the choir was all sitting up in front, and Paul went up there to sit with them. I suggested that we should just stay sitting when they got up to sing since we hadn't practiced, but when they got up to sing, he went along up to the front so I did too. It turned out fine since it was a song we had sung before. I was able to sing along ok, and Paul sang "Oo" in the correct harmony.

Sunday afternoon one of Paul's friends from the Park Forest Singers came over with his son. His son played the piano and we sang a bunch of hymns. Paul really enjoyed it and sang along on "Ah" on some of them. I then fixed some popcorn for all of us, and we had a nice visit.

Continue to: Feb. 4, 1999

Return to: Diary of a Brain Tumor Patient's Wife

Created and maintained by Renette Davis. Send comments to Renette by clicking here.

Created: June 11, 1999
Last updated: July 20, 2010